LUTHERAN CHURCH – MISSOURI SYNOD (LCMS)
The Lord has truly blessed Holy Cross these past 133 years.
In 1883 Pastor Fredrick Brunn found several families gathered around the standard of confessional pure Lutheranism. He organized these families into a congregation and served it for
12 years, making the trip, by team from Strasburg.
Reverend P. Kolb, Rev. G. Groth, Rev. Martin Daib, Rev. C.J. Borders, Rev. Julius Nickel, Rev. Max Krueger, Rev. E.M. Frentzel, Rev. T. Thieme, Rev. J.C. Schuelke, Rev. M.F. Obendorfer, Rev. Hallerberg, Rev. P.F. Plunkett, Rev. A.W. Brustat, Rev. L.F. Brighton, all served the congregation known
as “St. John of Shelbyville” until 1943.
In 1943, Pastor M. L. Dake was assigned to Shelbyville. In that year a parish house was built next to the church building. The name of “St. John’s of Shelbyvile” was changed to “Holy Cross”.
Rev. M.J. Schliebe served from 1949-1953; Rev. O.F. Krupski, 1953-1956; Rev. K.F. Boetcher, 1956 to 1965; Rev. Richard Matthies, 1966-1977; Rev. E. Fenton, 1978 to 1980; Pastor John Johnson was here a few months in 1980, and Rev. Allen Fanning 1980 to 1995; Rev Wade Helmkamp 1995-2017, and currently serving is Rev Wray Offerman, visiting pastor, until we find another man of God to serve us and His God!!
A five acre tract was purchased on North 10th Street in March of 1960 and a parsonage was built that same year at that location.
In 1981 a planning committee made a thorough study and then made recommendations for the present church building.
July 30, 2017 was Pastor E Wade Helmkamp's last sermon as our Pastor. We had a great worship with 225 in attendance, a program to honor Pastor with words from Gene Mars, Chuck Hubbartt, Mrs Geraldine Larson, Ben Spaulding, and Linda Banning; Joe Readnour (bagpiper) played Amazing Grace, the kids spelling out P*A*S*T*O*R and it's meaning and then the presentation to Pastor Wade & Rose of a trip to Germany in September 2017 for the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation! This was followed by a great meal and fellowship with one another!!
August 6, 2017 - Rev. Wray Offermann is our Interim Pastor during our search of a new minister! We are blessed to have Rev Wray and his wife Carolyn with us during this transition!
June 9, 2019 - We will celebrate Pastor Wray being with us for the past 22 months as we have found a new shepherd to lead us.
June 16, 2019 - Father's Day. Pastor Nathan Woolery who has accepted our call to be our next Pastor will lead us during Worship.
June 23, 2019 - Pastor Nathan Woolery was installed at Holy Cross at 2 pm. Pastor Wray Offerman lead the worship and Pastor Nathan's father-in-law gave a great message on the "Workings of the 3 W's" (Work, Worship and Witness)!!
With the Lord’s blessing and guidance, Holy Cross has grown from the five families in 1883 to the present membership of 349.
Pastor Wray Offermann
Holy Cross Lutheran Church
Pastor Nathan Woolery
1201 North Chestnut • Shelbyville, IL 62565
Pastor E Wade Helmkamp
Top Photo: Pastor Boetcher
Bottom Photo: Pastor Krumski
© Copyright. All Rights Reserved